Friday, November 2, 2007

Asian Flank Steak with Wilted Baby Bok Choy


I made this for dinner a couple nights back and it really was so easy. Now if I read through a recipe and see the name of an ingredient that I do not know, I usually skip right over it but everything in the recipe can be bought at your grocery store. In the Asian/Japanese cooking section. And since I am posting it not Eric, it goes without saying that it is EASY!

Ingredients

1 ½ - 2 lbs of flank steak, scored and seasoned
1 T olive oil
2 T sesame oil
3 T mirin (sweet cooking rice wine)
½ t chili oil
juice of ½ lime, about 1 ½ T
1 T hoisin sauce
1 T soy sauce
1 T honey
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 shallot, minced
1 T ginger, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 T chopped cilantro
1 head of baby bok choy, sliced in half lengthwise (or other leafy green, such as fresh spinach)
2 T diced red pepper

Directions

In a bowl, combine sesame oil, mirin, chili oil, lime juice, hoisin sauce, tamari, honey scallions, shallot, ginger, garlic and 2 T chopped cilantro and whisk to blend. Pour over steak and allow to marinade for 2 hours (or more). Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Remove steak from marinade (reserving marinade), pat dry and sear until just brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to Crock-Pot slow cooker and pour reserved liquid over. Cook on high for 3 hours, turning once or twice. Place bok choy on top of steak and cook for 10 more minutes, until bok choy begins to wilt. Remove bok choy from Crock-Pot slow cooker and place on platter. Thinly slice (1/8”) steak and place on platter, pouring reserved liquid over steak. Garnish with diced red pepper and remaining 1 T of chopped cilantro.

1 comment:

Fashion Meets Fitness said...

You cook the best meals! I'm going to try your chili!!!